Split-level style houses first started trending before the 20th century. People used to prefer these houses to be built in locations where they feel more connected to nature. This style of home was ideal for large families living together. However, when people started to have small families, these houses disappeared. Today, it seems like people want to step back a little from their busy and hectic life and dive into the comfort of their childhood days when these houses were quite famous.
Due to this reason, there has been a substantial rise in the demand for split-level style houses. In such scenarios, people can often find themselves asking what exactly is a split-level style house. Well, if you are also thinking the same, then in this article, you might find the answers that you are looking for.
A split-level style house means the house is split into two sections. Now the design can vary, but you can generally find two staircases on the ground floor. One leads upstairs to the bedroom, while another can lead downstairs to the basement, where you can also have your garage. Let’s have a look at the external and internal features of the house for a better understanding:
- Large windows on the main level.
- Asymmetrical design
- Multiple windows, most of them are usually double-hung.
- Low roofs.
- The material of the house is a mixture of brick and wood.
- The front door has extended steps in the front.
- You will find dining, kitchen and living rooms on the main floor. The bedrooms are on the upper floor.
- One staircase can lead you to the basement.
- Vaulted ceilings.
- Garages are attached or built-in.
- You will have lots of attic and storage space.
- Patio doors that lead to the living area.
- Minimal ornamental features such as cornices and mouldings give the luxury appeal.
Side split is the most common one. It has all three levels. The bedroom is built on top of the basement on one side. The other side has the main floor.
Stacked split house is stacked with four floors. You will find multiple flights of staircases connected to each level. It has an additional floor on top of the living area.
The back split is similar to the side split, except it’s been rotated to 90 degrees. Viewing from the curb, you will think it only has a single story.
The standard split design has a ground entrance door on the ground level. The bottom level consists of a playroom, family room, den or garage. The upper floor consists of bathrooms and bedrooms.
So, this was everything on a split-level style house. Hopefully, now you have a pretty clear idea of how a split-level style house looks. If you want to buy one for yourself or want to look at some amazing designs, then you can check them out at Hotondo Homes Australia – Split-Level Home Designs.